1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

2 down, working on the third

Discussion in 'The VIP Lounge' started by Mike, Aug 28, 2017.

1. Mike

Mike Bon Vivant Top Poster

I have completed 2 of the 3 paintings in my citrus and pipes series. I have chosen the citrus first and then painted the pipes using the complimentary color. The photos do not really display the vivid colors in these paintings. They really put extra POP in pop art.

The third will have limes (sliced) and bright red pipes. Since the limes are a bright green it will not look too much like Christmas I hope.

And with this last painting I hope to end my fascination with the pipes. I have explored them enough now and it is time to move on. I can tell because the excitement level to begin the new one is somewhat restrained.

I am losing my job of 16 years in November and I will either retire or take some part-time work somewhere until Social Security kicks-in in May of 18 (early at 62). It sucks, but it will free up more time to paint and I will begin doing art shows again and competing.

Anyway, here they are side by side.... twofer.JPG

Blake likes this.
  2. DustinDavis

DustinDavis Well-Known Member War Zone Member

Mike likes this.
  3. Mike

The first one in the series...the one with the oranges, is titled "Florida Pipeline". It was simply an idea I had about what should be in a pipeline they ran across Florida after we no longer needed oil. Orange Juice of course.

The second one it titled "When life gives you lemons" and is actually a reflection on my life the past few months. The pipes are the company color of the company I work for where I am being let go in November. It is a statement that I will make lemonade from the lemons I am being given.

The next one...well I don't know yet, :)

Thanks

Blake and DustinDavis like this.
  4. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Great looking stuff Mike. I admire people with talent. Unfortunately if I did artwork, the proper place for it would be with a magnet attached to the fridge:cool:

5. Mike

Thanks Phil. Everyone has something they are fairly good at. Most often, it is what they do for a living. I am very lucky to have been able to sustain myself all through the years with my art in one form or another.

6. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Beautiful as usual Mike. Too bad Pulp magazines faded away in the 1950s, you'd be a great cover painter. Maybe some trade magazines would be interested. Plumbers Monthly? :cool:

Mike likes this.
  7. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

Love those vibrant colors!! What would you classify them - Industrial Art?

8. Mike

Industrial pop. :)

9. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Mike thanks for posting these.

I'm gonna laugh my ass of when you make it big and make more money than you ever did working at the museum (hopes).

Mike likes this.
  10. JeffC

JeffC Active Member War Zone Member

I really love your art. Pipes as a subject is really interesting. I appreciate you.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mike likes this.
  11. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

"2 down working on a third." In other words, three strikes and you're out? ;)

Mike likes this.
  12. Mike

Thanks everyone for the encouragement. I will keep you posted on the third strike.:)

DYohn likes this.
  13. capsuleri

capsuleri Well-Known Member

The colors certainly do pop! Very appropriate. :)