1. Create an account to join in the discussion. Once you register don't forget to enter our monthly drawings.

Register to post on our forum.
  2. Home Theater Lounge will begin holding a live chat every Wednesday evening at 9pm Central. The goal is to get as many members online at the same time and just talk movies, music, and gear. You can join the chat by going to the Shoutbox app.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice

18 inch Dayton Sub Kit

Discussion in 'DIY Lounge' started by Mike B, May 19, 2017.

1. Carl V

Carl V Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

looking good....what made you do a painted white baffle?

2. Mike B

Mike B Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Matches the Mundorfs and the fireplace.

3. Carl V

Mundorfs...Oh, the Accuton Woofer.

4. Mike B

Stuffed with 4 pillows in the corners and some rolled batting in the middle;

34810621393_15d9a62cb3_o.jpg

No "loose" fill. I think I'm going to leave the grille off. I temp placed it and I like this look better;

35580012306_ab1c196ae7_o.jpg

I'm not really worried about Lucy, she never bothers anything. Plus the cone is aluminum and the surround is some really stiff and sturdy rubber. Probably to damp that metal cone sufficiently. But I need to plug those holes, you can feel the breeze coming out when the cone moves. Some truss head screws and rubber washers should do the trick. Job for tomorrow, I'm done today.

Now drinking rum & coke - :)

5. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Admin War Zone Member

Top Poster Of Month

Surround material is probably more for linearity at high excursion. Do you need to damp the cone at sub frequencies?

6. Mike B

I wouldn't think so. I'll add that you can hear it "ring" with the 1.5 volt battery test. Doesn't sound like a paper cone does.

Old vs New.

35581468546_0e689c82d2_o.jpg

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  7. Phil A

Phil A Active Member Top Poster

Wow - looks like pro job!

8. Carl V

Very Nice Indeed...
    assume this is a sealed BOX design
    no ports?
    other than those tiny holes for the grill?

9. Mike B

Thanks! I like the simple clean look w/o the grille. Yeah, 4 cu-ft sealed box. So off to the hardware store for some screws and washers to seal those holes. Each has an 8-32 hurricane nut in it so easy job. I'll get some truss head screws and some rubber washers and paint the heads with the same paint I shot the baffle with.

I was playing with it last night and it's very clean sounding. After I get those holes plugged I'll run the Cambridge level set routine and cue up some movies - :)

10. DYohn

DYohn Well-Known Member Donor

If you don't want to see screws, a little RTV on the inside will seal those holes.

11. Mike B

I'm pretty jazzed. I'm glad I did this, in the words of Sargent Hulka "I'm getting too old for this shit", I was a little stiff today from moving those two heavy boxes around.

The glossy laminate worked well. I know better than to try to paint glossy, but glue on laminate, easy. The baffle is satin, not gloss or even semi-gloss.

12. John Celardo

John Celardo Well-Known Member Donor

Wow, fabulous build Mike. I guess the old sub is down-firing like my PSA 15. Do you think the rafters will loosen up when you watch an explosion movie? That's a lot of power, and it's really beautiful.

13. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

Damn fine work!

14. Carl V

you do know Wilson art has HIGH GLOSS WHITE
    regardless, looks clean & neat.

15. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

wow, just wow

16. Mike B

I would think so. I didn't want to make a new baffle. Paint is good enough.

The sub sounds much better with the 4 leaks sealed. Yeah, big surprise eh?

The new receiver arrived today but it's still in the box. Time enough for that tomorrow.

17. Carl V

rum & coke time
    or Gin & tonic time

18. Denton

Denton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member Top Poster

Congrats, Mike! I nearly bought one of those assembled by someone else. I'm jealous.

19. Randy Rhoton

Randy Rhoton Well-Known Member Donor War Zone Member

And, I suppose the pillows are for when the amp is in sleep mode. ;)

20. Mike B

Kelly was just over to join in the discussion with the landscaper and saw the sub (finished) for the first time. She thought it looked great.

If a woman thinks your giant speaker looks great, it does - :)

Now I'm looking at this amplifier to go with it. Cool little control panel I can mount right in the front of the stand. Plenty of room in the top cubby.

35618397636_52d0011712_o.jpg